Friday, January 30, 2009

2009-THE SHACK (Click Here for Link)

I've been a member of a book club for about 5 1/2 years. The club started about a year before I joined and the fact that all the original members are still members is amazing. I'll talk more about the book club another time. Right now I want to talk about the book we read for our last one.

The book is The Shack by William Paul Young and it's on all the hot lists right now. It's a work of fiction from the mind of one man, and from my limited experience with such things, in my opinion it would be impossible for it to be anything but fiction, but it's truly one of the most profound and thought-provoking works of fiction I've ever read.

He claims that when he wrote it he intended for it to be read by his family and friends. It's now the #1 New York Times Bestseller and there are over two million copies in print. I've even read that there's a movie in the works.

I think that anyone who's ever had any kind of experience with religion, spirituality, God, Jesus, the Holy Ghost or Church, good or bad, will be impacted by this book. If you've ever experienced a loss or questioned why something happened or didn't happen, I think you will be affected. It is disturbing in parts and unless you have a heart of stone, you will cry.

I highly recommend it and I will be gifting a copy of it to my children, parents, siblings and in-laws. To read it or not is their choice, but I so hope they will.

1 comment:

  1. LPM,
    Thanks for your review of "The Shack", which sounds like a must-read to me. I'll get a copy right away.

    Jon at Mississippi Garden

    ReplyDelete