Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2008-NOVEMBER 7TH-FLORIDA TRIP

On Friday, November 7th, Eden and I left Oxford heading to Perdido Key. We were joining the Mills, the Cayson, the Barhams and the McKittricks for a weekend at the Mills' condo. We needed it badly. We had not been away just the two of us in . . . I can't remember the last time. We were looking forward to it. We all arrived within an hour or two of each other and in time for dinner that night. We went to a locally owned seafood restaurant called The Original Point. The food was excellent. They have a cute website that gives several of their recipes. This is an example:


The Point's Bisque

1 lb. Royal red shrimp (meat only, cut in small pieces)
1 lb. Lump crabmeat (picked free of shell)
1 lb. Claw crabmeat (picked free of shell)
1 lb. Butter
3 ribs celery sliced paper thin
2 lg. Carrots grated
12 oz. SR flour
3 qts milk
1 pt half and half
8 oz. Monterray jack cheese, grated
10 oz. Cooking sherry
1 tsp paprika
1tsp celery salt
1tsp seafood seasoning

In a 3 gal pot melt the butter over med-high heat, add the carrots and celery and 2-3 oz of the sherry, sautŠ¹ using a wire whip for 2-3 mins, then add the shrimp. Continue cooking until the shrimp have gotten opaque, the add the flour stirring constantly slowly add the milk and the half and half. Heat until it almost to a boil, then stir in the cheese and the seasonings. Add the crabmeat and return to near boil…add the remaining sherry, and turn off. Make a mixture of equal parts of the seasonings to garnish when served.



Here is the website address http://www.point-restaurant.com/.



And a few pictures. Eden managed to squeeze into all of them.











The next day, Betsy and Bubba cooked breakfast, then we headed out to Joe Patti's Seafood to pick out seafood to cook for dinner. We got Oysters, gumbo, shrimp, dips, spreads, etc.

Marie and I had spotted some shops we wanted to explore so we went to do a little shopping. Marie spotted a vendor on the corner of one of the streets that had some pottery fish that she loved. She found the one of those that she liked. Then we went to a nursery and a pot shop and found some goodies. I bought fish ornaments for all of us for souvenirs, a Christmas cactus for Mary and a birthday gift for Betsy.

When we got back, Danny had fixed up the oysters (I have no idea what he did with them), but he and the other men headed down to the outside grill and "grilled" for about an hour. There were about half as many oysters left when they got back, but they were delicious and they went fast. The other food was delicious, as well.

Later, Cayson got on a cookie kick and wanted some oreos. He talked about cookies until we were sick of it. I think Marie finally put something in his drink.

Sunday, Eden and I were in charge of breakfast. We headed out for the grocery store. On the way, the phone rang and Bubba suggested that we go a little further down the road and find some fresh eggs. I had a niggling suspicion that someone was being a practical joker and told Eden, but he was sure they were serious. "Bubba wouldn't do that." So we drove and drove, and never found those fresh eggs. Needless, to say, it's because there weren't any.

Apparently Eden and I were exhausted after the fresh egg hunt and needed a nap.




After breakfast the Barhams, Caysons and McKittricks got ready to go home. We planned to leave that day too except I had not been to the beach yet and I wasn't leaving until I went. I went down around 12:30. It was a beautiful day to be there. The sun was shining, the temperature was around 80 degrees and there was a slight breeze. I could not make myself get up and go home. Eden nor I had to work the next day so I called him in the condo and he was all for staying another night. Mona joined me on the beach for a while and it was a perfect afternoon. Even the birds were delightful.












That night it was only Mike and Mona, Eden and me. It was a very peaceful, relaxing evening, and just what I needed.


2 comments:

  1. I want to go back! Who took that picture of you and Eden asleep on the couch? That is so sweet - holding hands and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go too! I have Betsy to thank for that precious moment.

    ReplyDelete