Saturday, April 11, 2009

PATRICIA ANN ASHCRAFT

Posted by Picasa
PAT ASHCRAFT


Pat is Daddy's oldest sister. She was born on January 2, 1935. In my early childhood she lived in California, but at some point moved back to Arkansas and lived in Little Rock. She stayed there for several years and then moved to Muskogee, Oklahoma, where she lives now.

Pat is one of the people in my life that has made a distinct impression and with whom I feel a special connection. I can't really explain why. I guess the obvious reason is because she's family, but I think the main reason, is that she has that Ashcraft imprint. When I look at her I can see my Grandparents, and Daddy and me. She gets her build from the Jones' side and favors Grandma in that way, but she has the Ashcraft face and mannerisms. The face is strong and a bit stern, but the smile and laugh are quick and easy. I have seen her and Daddy both make a certain face. They cock their mouth to the side and raise their eyebrows. It usually happens when someone says something they might not quite agree with or they find questionable, or if they're asked a question they might not particularly want to answer. It's a funny face and I've seen it many, many times. It's usually followed by a humorous remark or sarcasm.

I remember one time, when I was a little kid, just because she wanted to, Pat picked me up and took me out to eat, just the two of us. She wanted to talk to me about me and tell me about her. It was while she was still living in California and she was probably only visiting for a few days, but she used part of that time to visit with me.

Although I think Pat is very sure of her beliefs, and most of the time very open in her expression of them, she's a very thoughtful person as well, and sensitive to other people's beliefs. She's also a huge animal lover and is probably one of those people who gets more joy from animals than she does from most people. I have a distinct memory of visiting her at her home in Little Rock and of her two big happy dogs and one little bitty one.

Several years ago Pat had heart problems, then a few years after that, she was diagnosed with cancer. The cancer has slowly taken over her body. Today she is in intensive care hanging on to life by an IV. The medicine is keeping her blood pressure just high enough to let her say goodbye to and spend precious time with her loved ones who could make it to her ICU bedside.

Mama and Daddy are there and say yesterday was a good day. Some friends were able to sneak her little dog, Sasha, in to see her. She never had children so I'm certain she has a deep love for her dog. As far as I'm concerned, she got some of the best medicine that she could be given. There is nothing like a dog's love to give you a bit of peace and comfort when you need it most.

Today will be a hard day. The hospital can't keep her in ICU and must move her to a hospice room. Once in hospice nothing can be used to prolong her life. She is awake and aware of what is happening and says she is ready. The doctor has explained that she will become drowsy and probably fall into a coma and then it will be only a short time. Thankfully, she is capable of saying when it's time to go and that decision won't have to be made by those who love her, but they will be there with her as she drifts peacefully into a better place.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your aunt. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dustin and eddie,arlene,and susanApril 14, 2009 at 6:13 PM

    dear lisa that is a beautiful piece you wrote on aunt pat. she has and always will hold a very special place in my heart. i always admired her because she strong in what she believe in.we certainly want to be there right now. but my cercumstances prevent it.please tell aunt pat we love her very much the eddie ashcraft family

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a perfect world we could all be there with her as a family. Thankfully there are those who can be and they realize that circumstances make it impossible for the rest of us. You are all in my prayers. I pray you have some Peace and comfort in these trying times. I would love to see you.

    Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing such a sweet, touching and very true tribute to our Pat. I hope she knows just how much she is, always has been and will always be loved by all who know her. I too wish I could be there. I am so glad she will be surrounded with her family who mean so much to her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, like Grandma Ashcraft, will never be "gone"... she will be a part of each of us and live on in our hearts and minds for as long as we live.

    Few people have had as much impact on my life as this incredible woman, and I am so grateful for her wisdom, guidance and insight over all the years of my life. I'm also grateful that Pat and I had some time alone together last summer to "complete" with one another.

    For those of you who are unable to get to her bedside, please know that Pat would not want us to experience her in her current condition... She would want to be remembered as the vibrant, powerful and loving woman she has always been.

    She knows how much she is loved, and I know how grateful she is for having known each of us; for our presence in her life, as well as the contributions each of us has made to her life experience.

    Much love to you all, and may we each find peace.
    J,Jr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only known Pat for about 5 years. I began attending the same church as she as Gina. What a blessing it was to me to get to know her. A truly unique and wonderful woman who is filled with loving care for others. I enjoyed your blog. All of Pat's friends think just as highly of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa .... this is a sweet touching memorial. I know Pat is proud..... Arvel

    ReplyDelete
  8. She will truly be missed . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura Ashcraft PoundersApril 20, 2009 at 8:36 AM

    Lisa,
    Thank you for a beautiful tribute to Pat. She did have a way of making you feel like you were a special, unique person, and that she was interested in how you felt and what you had to say. She was truly an amazing "larger-than-life" woman, who lived an amazing life, and I think she is an inspiration to all of us. She will truly be missed, but will live on in our hearts and memories.

    ReplyDelete