Monday, April 13, 2009

EASTER 2009

(CLICK VIDEO TWICE TO ENLARGE)

I was able to get in the garden for about an hour before getting ready for early church and got my blackberry vines planted along the east fence line. I was feeling very satisfied with my day so far until I put on my new "Easter Dress" and the zipper got hung two inches short of zipping all the way up. It wouldn't go up or down. The zipper was located on the left side and was extremely hard to get to by myself. I yanked and pulled and cussed until I worked up a sweat, and then I asked Abby to try. No luck. I got a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull with and snatched the zipper pull off. By this time I was running late and nearly to tears with frustration. I wanted to take the dress off and put something else on, but it's one of those that won't fit over your head unless you unzip it, so I put on a sweater and went to church. Since we were running late and it was Easter Sunday, there wasn't a parking place to be found within 3 blocks of the church, so I parked in front of the Federal Building. Thankfully the sun was shining, but what you couldn't tell from the car was that the wind was whipping around at 40 miles an hour.

My dress was a chiffon-y Marilyn Monroe Seven Year Itch kind of dress. Earlier I thought it was so pretty the way it swirled around, but now I was fighting to keep it from blowing above my head on the way into church and couldn't wait to get it off and back to the store. First, I had to figure out how to get it off. That gave me something to contemplate during church. Abby's hair was being blown to Kingdom Come and she was thoroughly disgusted by the time we got inside. Leslie and John had managed to save us a bit of room next to them, so we were able to sit pretty quickly. I believe if we hadn't we would have turned right around and gone back home.

The church was packed and there were babies everywhere. The couple sitting next to Leslie had a young baby girl that was in touching proximity, and a baby girl was also baptised. At the peak of Warren's sermon he raised his voice for emphasis and set off all the babies at one time. Because of claustrophobia, hormones and all the babies, poor Leslie stayed in tears through most of the service. All I could do was hand her a tissue. That service seemed to go on forever.

After church Abby and I trekked back to the car. The four of us went out to the cemetery afterward for our Easter visit to Bella's grave. Flowers were strewn everywhere because of the wind, but we had taken Bella's off a few days before. We put them back on and hoped they would stay.

I'm not a big azalea fan, but on the way home I saw some of the most beautiful red azaleas. Lee had told me about some he had seen a few days ago and I bet these were the ones so I took a picture of them to show him. (They were the same ones.)

We were heading to the Aberdeen Lock and Dam to have Easter dinner at Blue Bluff with Mary and Ferrell and Peter and Jan Lee, so we had to hustle to get everything done and leave by noon. but first I had to get that *%#* dress off. I started to get out the scissors but Abby thought she could help me pull it over my head. We got if off. It ripped, but I really didn't care. I dug the price tag out of the trash, then taped it and the zipper pull to the receipt and threw it all in a bag to take back on Monday.

We left on time and would have made Blue Bluff by 1:30 as planned but Abby wanted to drive and it took us a wee bit longer. We were the last ones there, but she did a fine job and we got there in one piece.

Leslie and John were having Easter at John's Grandmother Mize's and Baker and Hollie were having Easter with her Grandparents. Eden and Nicky had stayed at the farm the night before and had gone to Sunrise Service with Mary and Ferrel. Beau had been to a party for Mary Lee on Saturday night in Aberdeen, then had gotten up and gone to church at First Methodist there. I was proud of him. John Dewey came to lunch with us and brought Bones, his dog. I was a little intimidated by Bones ( a Pit Bull) until I got to know him and found out what a sweetie he is.

It was windy and threatening rain, but we had some good food and a nice visit. Abby hid eggs for Nicky a couple of times and then the three of us took a walk on the Nature Trail. I wanted to go by Union Cemetery in Wren before it rained, so we left about 3:30. I wanted Mary to go with me so she could tell me what relative was what, but she opted for a nap instead, so Eden, Abby, Nicky and I went to check it out.

The cemetery is so pretty and peaceful, and full of Bakers! There's even a concrete panel on the gatepost, which is a memorial to Eden's Grandpa Sam Baker. Eden's Baker Great-Great Grandparents, Great Grandparents, and Grandparents are buried there and Mary and Ferrell already have their headstones set. We decided it would probably be a good idea to pick out our spots and maybe put in some sort of marker.

It started raining so Eden and Nicky headed back to the farm and Abby and I headed home. It poured down rain on us the whole way back to Oxford. Aside from the dress fiasco, it was a good Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment